Wednesday 25 February 2015

Guilt-Free Chocolate Protein 'No-bake' Cheesecake (Vegan Friendly)

I had never been a huge fan of cheesecakes, until I was introduced to the famous Cheesecake Factory during my trip to Vegas last year... Let's just say it's a restaurant fit to make anyone turn into a cheesecake lover!
Last week whilst I was enjoying a dinner out at a beautiful London restaurant (The Bluebird, Chelsea- stunning!) with some friends, I found myself opting for their gingerbread cheesecake. Not my usual go-to but I fancied something a little different, but it was so tasty that it re-ignited my cheesecake cravings and I've been craving it a little ever since! Now as we know with most delicious desserts, they can come with plentiful unwanted trans fats and high sugar carbs, which should be enjoyed in moderation or on the odd occasion. Hence why I thought I'd try and come up with a version of my own that everyone could enjoy guilt-free, by using natural and unrefined ingredients that wouldn't leave you with the feeling it needed to be sweated out in the gym the next day!
One thing I love about this cheesecake is that it's packed with a host of amazing beneficial healthyfats from coconut and flax seeds. Also, the additional boost of protein, with the high fiber base makes this a great healthy, balanced treat which unlike a regular cheesecake, will keep blood sugar levels stable and leave you feeling much more satisfied. 
The base of this cheesecake has a deliciously sweet, crumbly texture, yet the top is smooth, creamy and indulgent.. For me, this is everything a cheesecake should be! Not to mention the compliments added from the sharp freshness from the raspberries, and an extra chocolately crunch from cacao nibs... These two little things truly send this cheesecake to whole new level!
A tasty cheesecake that will leave you satisfied, energised, and give you a host of health benefits whilst indulging? Or a cheesecake that may leave you feeling sluggish and perhaps slight guilty with its empty high fat/high sugar content? I know which I would gladly regularly indulge in!

Ingredients:
For the cheesecake top:
1/2 pot (62.5g) of vanilla Coyo (or you could use coconut cream from a tin instead)
1 scoop Reflex Nutrition chocolate chocolate whey (Reflex chocolate vegan protein for the vegan friendly version)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

For the base:
14g (2 tbsp) thick milled or chunky traditional oats
5g (1 heaped tsp) Flax seed
7ml (1 tbsp) agave syrup (or honey for non-vegan version)
5g (1/2 tsp) virgin organic coconut oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon

For the topping/decoration: 
Fresh Raspberries
Raw Cacao nibs (available from Creative Nature Superfoods) or Dark Chocolate

1. Combine your cheesecake top ingredients together in a bowl and set aside whilst you line a small pot or ramekin with some cling film (I used my empty plastic Coyo tub!).
2. Melt and combine your agave syrup and coconut oil together in a microwaveable bowl for 10-15 seconds.
3. Stir in and coat your oats, flax seed and cinnamon with the agave and coconut oil mixture.
4. Layer your cling-film lined tub firstly with your cheesecake top mixture, then the base mixture, ensuring each layer is lightly pressed and smoothed down properly.
5. Place in the freezer for an hour and allow the cheesecake to set.
6. Bunch the cling film together and pull out the cheesecake from the pot/ramekin. Then turn out the cheesecake onto a plate before carefully removing the cling film.
7. Finally, top it off with some raspberries and generous sprinkling of cacao nibs. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment